HIGHEST GRADE STEEL
High-quality bearings require high-quality raw materials. Steel cleanliness is the key element in choosing materials that can remarkably improve bearing fatigue performance and load carrying capacity. Based on a long collaboration with the most renowned steelmakers worldwide, RKB can currently rely on different types of steel (5 throughhardening and 2 case-hardening), which are purposely selected according to bearing characteristics and application requirements
RKB makes use of SAE 52100 steel to manufacture rolling bearings for common applications. Under certain circumstances and most of all for medium and large size bearings, SAE 52100/A is adopted. Regarding critical applications, a special bearing steel (SAE A485 or RKB Type.RAV), with higher cleanliness and specific mechanical properties, is used. This steel, obtainedthrough the Vacuum Degassed Electroslag Remelting process (VAC-ESR), has lower levels of non-metallic inclusions and ensures premium product reliability and performance. As for the manufacture of rollers, the RKB Group can use SAE 52100/A.F forged steel (Tough Roller Technology) to guarantee better resistance to corrosion, wear, fatigue and stationary loads, especially in harsh conditions.
For special industrial applications, RKB can exploit the properties of the SAE 9315 case-hardened steel, which is a nickel-chrome-molybdenum steel.
The RKB Group allocates yearly around 10% of the turnover to its Research and Development Department. As a consequence, RKB’s technology, know-how, engineering and R&D, with fully equipped metallographic and metrological laboratories, the Advanced Software Engineering Unit for mechanical design and the ever-growing test rig center, permit to manufacture top quality rolling bearings.
In the last years RKB has heavily expanded its production sites, acquiring and mastering the latest technology available in the market:
- Leading-edge R&D and Engineering supported by advanced calculation and simulation tools for continuous improvement of inner design and geometry of bearing parts
- Fully equipped metrological and chemical laboratories for comprehensive bearing analysis
- Top quality hardened bearing steel with cleanliness specifications up to Grade A as per Standards specs ASTM E3 and E45 (JX80X Series Protocol and RD1-800 Series Protocol)
- Special bearing steel Type.RA or Type.RAV for premium reliability in critical/severe applications (equivalent to Grade 6 and Grade 7)
- Manufacturing finishing up to roughness value Ra = 0,2 (latest generation CNC super-finishing grinders)
- ‘Tough-rollers’ manufacturing technology (dia. min. 30-40 mm)
- Anti-wear surface treatment technology for rings and/or rollers (AWT)
- Phosphate treatment technology (PT)
- Special heat treatment technology for rings stabilization up to S4
- Advanced hardening treatment technology (including bainite HB)